Job Location Saudi Arabia
Job Title Sustainability Specialist
Job Type Non-Academic
Job Summary The Sustainability Specialist is responsible for the development, implementation, monitoring and reporting of a comprehensive sustainability program that incorporates sustainability practices into all aspects of the University activities including community life, new developments, as well as operations.
Major Responsibilities • Develops and implements a comprehensive and University-wide sustainability program;
• Devices and delivers program of work to identify, conserve, enhance, and celebrate site biodiversity related to flora, fauna, and marine habitat;
• Manages the collection and interpretation of data to monitor environmental performance of the University including the identification of key indicators and facilitating reporting on such e.g. alternative transportation usage, greenhouse gas emissions, waste generation/recycling and water usage footprint;
• Conducts environmental research, and performs preliminary environmental impact assessments for new projects;
• Provides technical assistance to department staff and facility service providers on environmental issues such as waste minimization, and marine protection;
• Provides professional advice on sustainable procurement to University's procurement department;
• Maintains a database of knowledge on sustainability efforts of international higher education institutions and cities;
• Undertakes a range of activities concerned with sustainable development policy making and strategy. This will include, but not limited to drafting guidelines, making recommendations, reviewing policy and procedure, and researching new initiatives;
• Designs and delivers environmental training and awareness programs to the University community members including University students, K-12 school system, staff and their dependents. Both the manner in which these activities are organized and the nature of their content should be geared towards achieving buy-in and cultural transformation from students, faculty, staff and community members.
• Encourages sustainability efforts in the University; monitors progress in energy use reduction and other sustainability measures; provides regular updates to the University departments on the practical means to reduce their environmental footprints;
• Assists in the development of project case studies documenting green projects across the
• Coordinate and/or participate in public relations activities to include preparing and supervising the production of a website, brochures, newsletters and other sustainability promotional materials.;
• Produces an annual environmental/sustainability progress report.
Organization Health, Safety & Environment Management
Division Environmental Protection
Technical Skills • Familiarity with the working knowledge of international organizations in the area of sustainability such as Conservation International, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE),International Sustainable Campus Network (ISCN),and Air & Waste Management Association.
Non-Technical Skills or Attributes • Experience in applying environmental and sustainability management practices to a campus operations as well as to community life;
• An advanced ability to communicate and to form sound working relationships with various audiences including faculty, students, professional colleagues, community members, facilities management and subcontractors;
• Experience in program administration and knowledge necessary to plan, coordinate and implement a variety of program activities and events across departments and groups;
• Proven capacity to apply scientific, social, environmental and economic principles to the management. of environmental and sustainability issues;
• An ability to produce clear, logical and succinct written material researched from a range of disciplines in the area of environment, economic, and social to suit the needs of a range of audiences;
• Work requires excellent analytical communication and organizational skills;
• An ability to self-motivate, multi-task and to work in a fast-paced environment and under deadlines.
Required Education Bachelor or higher degree in environment or natural resource management
Required Experience Minimum of seven years of professional experience in managing environmental, conservation, and sustainability programs, preferably in higher education institutions or municipal cities.