Job Title PLD Technical Specialist
Job Type Non-Academic
Job Summary The KAUST Nanofabrication Core Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory supporting research in all areas of Micro- and Nanofabrication. The PLD Technical Specialist provides specialized support in operating and maintaining equipment used by many KAUST student and professional researchers and external users in the preparation of structures and devices or their component advanced materials. He/She will work with a team of scientists and technical staff to help ensure an uninterrupted, high-standard of experimental research.
Major Responsibilities • In charge of daily operation and maintenance of the 3-chamber PLD, e-beam evaporators and tube furnace;
• Optimize the process parameters;
• Provide strong technical support to users for material deposition and sample characterization;
• Develop new processes and procedures to meet specific user’s research needs;
• Train users in the effective use of the PLD, e-beam evaporators and tube furnace;
• Oversee equipment availability and utilization, order spare parts and consumables, plan preventive maintenance.Support KAUST colleagues, students, post-docs, faculty, other scientists and staff or external users by coordinating, scheduling and completing regular trainings on assigned instruments, as well as help with special projects and experimental design;
• Coordinate with on-site, off-site and international technical teams / specialists, vendors, etc. to ensure the proper operation and repair, both preventive and corrective maintenance of equipment and instruments;
• Working with faculty and students, create opportunities to enhance technical operations or content through expansion of existing efforts or development of new efforts;
• Maintain proper and complete equipment operations and maintenance records;
• Ensure User compliance with Badger instrument control software policy;
Division Core Labs
Technical Skills • Identifies problems and related technical issues, communicate and work with vendors and equipment engineers to solve equipment issues;
• Standardize the procedures for equipment operation;
• Work as a backup for some other tools, especially some metrology tools in the lab.
Non-Technical Skills or Attributes • Complete regular reports of work performed.
• Plan and organize vendor visits, workshops and seminars.
• Research and advise on instrument replacement and upgrades.
• Help ensure compliance with all health and safety regulations and with Cleanroom standard and procedures.
• Participate in lab organization and upkeep efforts.
• Attend professional meetings and present PowerPoint presentations.
Required Education • Master degree in Physics, Chemistry, Material Science or Engineering
Required Experience • Demonstrated expertise and more than 5 years of experience in PLD, e-beam evaporators and tube furnace equipment and process.
• 5 plus years’ experience with working in the Cleanroom in processing of semiconductor materials and devices;
• Familiar with Cleanroom operations and procedures;
• Experience in troubleshooting and repairing equipment;
• Experience and knowledge of metrology tools such as optical/electrical methods;
• Familiar with Cleanroom standards and procedures;
• Experience in working in international, multicultural environment.
• Demonstrated ability to extend technology into new application areas.
• The ability to work under structured direction, as well as independently and with thoughtful foresight;
• High professional interpersonal relationship standards;
• Ability to work effectively and efficiently with team members, lab users, and external service providers;
• Skills in experiment design, sample characterization and data analysis.
• Full Professional English proficiency. A minimum TOEFL score of 90 on the IBT shall be proved prior to employment;
• Demonstrated ability to work productively with colleagues, scientists, faculty and staff and external users;